Madikeri Fort | Mysuru Dasara 2019

Situated about 500m from the Madikeri bus stand and located on a hillock the imposing fort was built by Mudduraja in 1681. The earthen structure was rebuilt in granite by Tipu Sultan. Mudduraja also built a thatched roof palace here which was renovated in 1814 by Lingarajendra II, and then in 1933 by the British, who added a clock- tower and portico. Nearby are two startlingly life-like masonry elephants. The fort’s Veerabhadra Temple was demolished and a Gothic-style Anglican church built in its place in 1855. The church now houses a museum which displays historic items relating to Kodava life.


Madikeri Fort, Stuart Hill, Madikeri, Karnataka