Located on Princess Road (opposite the main gate of CFTRI), it was started in 1979 due to the efforts of PM Joseph. This museum exhibits graphics presenting the growth of Indian railways, photos and paintings. In the Sriranga Mantapa section of the museum, are displayed the royal train compartment which was being used by the Kings and Queens of Mysore, a pillar from the Old Srirangapatna railway station and a wired fence which was being used in the bygone era. Few old steam locomotives are also on display here.
The Railway Museum at Mysore, India is an outdoor exhibit of vintage locomotives. It was setup in 1979 by Indian Railways and is the second such museum after the National Railway Museum in Delhi. The museum is situated opposite the Central Food Technology and Research Institute on Krishnaraja Sagar road. In addition to the locomotives it has a gallery of photographs and paintings depicting the growth of railways in India. Railway signals and lights are also displayed. The museum also has a battery-operated mini-train for children which makes a small ride in the grounds of the museum.
- ES 506 4-6-2 is the first loco at the entrance, An Austin rail-motor car, Maharaja’s saloon, Maharaja’s bed and reading table, Inspection car cum ticket office, YDM4 #6200 on dual gauge track at Mysore station. It is the second YDM4 by DLW in 1968. (#6199 being the first one.)
- Two royal coaches that belonged to the Maharaja of Mysore.
- A W.G. Bagnall #1625 which was made in 1900 for Khushalgarh – Kohat – Thal Railway which was a military frontier line, was subsequently transferred to North Western Railways. It operated at Timber Depot in Marala and was transferred later to Dhilwan Creosoting plant. This 2′-6? gauge locomotive is configured as 2-4-2ST.
- Class E #37244 4-4-4T from SIR built by North British Locomotive Co. in 1920. Originally # 8, it was one of the three superheated locomotives.
- Class TS/1 #37338 2-6-2T from SR, made by W.G. Bagnall in 1932 for Mysore State Railways.
- A YP #2511 made by Telco in 1963.