Kukkarahalli Lake: Located in the Mysore University Campus, this lake has inspired many local poets and writers. The view from the north shore is particularly attractive with the lake and its surrounding trees, the spire of the Deputy Commissioner’s Offices rising above them and the low rise of the Chamundi Hill in the background.
This lake was constructed in the year 1864 by Mummadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar measuring about 25 lakh sq. mts (250 acres) and provided water for irrigation for more than 10,000 acres of land outside the city. The 27 Kms long Dewan Poornaiah feeder canal which passes through Hinkal, Bogadi, Kudremala and Manasagangotri before it reaches Kukkarahalli Lake. The lake as of today has a catchment area of more than 400 hectares and the water body spreads over 104 hectares.
This lake is home to more than 180 species of birds, not all of them aquatic. During the migratory season the lake plays host to a variety of winged visitors, some from as far as Siberia. There is a 4.5 Km walkway on the periphery of the lake with shaded stone benches for visitors to sit, relax and enjoy the scenic serenity of the lake.